Third Way, in partnership with the Idaho National Laboratory, Argonne National Laboratory and Oak Ridge National Laboratory, will host the first ever Advanced Nuclear Summit and Showcase in Washington, D.C., on Jan. 27 at the Newseum, 555 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington, DC 20001, from 8:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. The event will be live streamed (Latest Agenda Link – PDF file)
Significant progress has been made in recent years in the development of advanced nuclear technology. In recent weeks and months, the Obama administration and Congress have made a number of moves that show advanced nuclear is a key part of the climate solution and future energy supply, even as development of renewable energy continues.
Policymakers, innovators, venture capitalists and other investors who are developing advanced nuclear technology will participate in a series of panel discussions about the latest breakthroughs on the horizon.
They will also discuss the role of private investors and what is attracting them to advanced nuclear technologies, how the federal government can incentivize the maintenance and expansion of a nuclear energy industrial infrastructure, and the importance of maintaining today’s nuclear fleet so that the United States can lead future nuclear energy development.
In North America, 48 companies, backed by more than $1.6 billion in private capital, represent a new sector for the research, development and design of advanced nuclear reactors. Several companies will be on hand during the Showcase to present their technology and to share the latest news related to their projects.
The Advanced Nuclear Summit and Showcase builds upon the conversations sparked by the White House Summit on Nuclear Energy and the Nuclear Innovation Workshops sponsored by the Idaho National Laboratory.
Speakers, panelists and guests will include the following:
- Sens. Lisa Murkowski (R-Alaska),
- Mike Crapo (R-Idaho),
- Cory Booker (D-N.J.)
- Sheldon Whitehouse (D-R.I.)
- Susan Eisenhower, chairman emeritus at the Eisenhower Institute;
- Carol M. Browner, member of the Nuclear Matters Leadership Council and Secretary of Energy Advisory Board Task Force on the Future of Nuclear Power, former administrator of the Environmental Protection Agency, and former director of the White House Office of Energy and Climate Change Policy
Other speakers include;
- CEOs of GE Hitachi Nuclear Energy, Southern Nuclear, Terrestrial Energy, Transatomic Power and UPower, and the chairman of TriAlpha
- Senior executives from Advanced Reactor Concepts, NuScale and TerraPower
- Individual and venture investors in advanced nuclear innovation, including Ray Rothrock, partner emeritus at Venrock;
- Rachel Pritzker, founder and president of the Pritzker Innovation Fund and Third Way board member
For more information or to RSVP, please contact Jackie Priestly at 202-349-9663 or jpriestly(at)pcgpr(dot)com.
About Third Way
The Third Way is a think tank that answers America’s challenges with modern ideas aimed at the center. It is comprised of Democrats and Independents who share the conviction that government plays an essential role in keeping the nation’s promises – for equal opportunity, individual liberty, stewardship of resources and lasting security. It advocates for private-sector economic growth, a tough and smart centrist security strategy, a clean energy revolution, and progress on divisive social issues, all through moderate-led U.S. politics.
Pingback: Third Way to Assemble Advanced Nuclear Technology Pioneers at DC Summit and Showcase Jan 27 - Neutron Bytes - Pro-Nuclear Power Blogs - Nuclear Street - Nuclear Power Plant News, Jobs, and Careers